Today I was caught off-guard by a docker "bug" - or so I thought at first. I tried to boot up a project with
docker-compose up like I do since switching to a Mac. Unusual was that
docker-compose stopped at the build step and would not finish the boot. After some confusion and after checking the projects
docker-compose.yml configuration file I went to GitHub to see the newest docker for mac issues because I was using the beta release and thought a recent update might broke a thing or two. Looking at the issues I found a similar issue in docker/for-mac and commented with my setup and output of
docker-compose --verbose up only to realize a good 30 minutes later my setup was the problem all along.
While the configuration files were all correct, I made a mistake and did not provide a
.dockerignore file. Without the
.dockerignore two 6GB SQL dumps in the same directory which were mounted into the docker container which made the docker daemon crash / hang up. The simple solution was to create the following
# database directory on the host .db # all sql and gz files *.sql *.gz
docker-compose started without any issues because it now had a build context of around 400MB instead of 13GB.
Lesson learned: Always make sure your
.dockerignore is setup right and ignores all big files! The full file looks as follows:
node_modules .sass-cache .db *.sql *.gz .git